Spacer

All compositions are the sole property of the author and cannot be duplicated, reprinted, modified, published, stored, encoded, broadcasted, performed, posted, transmitted, exhibited, adapted, or used, etc. in any way without permission. The author reserves all moral, legal and intellectual property rights ©

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Interested in Inventions?

What do you think is the best invention of all time?





I will say the alphabet (c. 1700–1500 BC) by Semitic-speaking peoples in the area of the eastern coast of Mediterranean Sea.
No polution, better communication & records, unifying humanity, etc.



My second/third choices:
The flushing toilet by Sir John Harington of England (c. 1591)
Followed by toilet tissue in 1857 by Joseph Gayetty of the USA
I won't even speculate what went on during those 266 missing years between these two inventions???

Find more invention dates HERE


3 comments:

Royce A Ratterman said...

This question was featured at 'The Whole 9 ...' creative blog site. I thought it was fun and posted it here for your enjoyment.

It is something to think about - so many inventions have actually resulted in negative effects pertaining to the environment and upon humanity.

Like pollution from my Grandfather's car in this pic way back in 1929 (it's a 1927 model in the photo). The baby is my late father.

Li said...

As a woman, I'd have to say chocolate, followed by the toothbrush. As for the time span between the "john" and toilet paper, I know things like corn cobs figured in there somewhere. No wonder people in old portraits often look so unhappy.
Thanks for including the link.

Megan Dolan said...

Hi Royce,
I was thinking of the flush toilet right when I saw the topic! Can't overestimate my reliance on that one.