Spacer

All compositions are the sole property of the author and cannot be duplicated, reprinted, modified, published, stored, encoded, broadcasted, performed, posted, transmitted, exhibited, adapted, or used, etc. in any way without permission. The author reserves all moral, legal and intellectual property rights ©

Friday, March 23, 2012

Olive Ardena Charlton - 23 March 1897



My grandmother, Olive Ardena Charlton, was born on March 23, 1897 in Lakeview, Oregon and would have turned 115 today. She did live to be 83 years old, passing away in Honolulu, Hawaii where she lived her final years with her oldest daughter, my aunt.

As a child I remember her reading stories to me - Puss in Boots, Jack & the Beanstalk, etc., from Collier's Junior Classics, which I still have today. We watched the  Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, Outer Limits, One Step Beyond, The Twilight Zone, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Star Trek, The Ed Sullivan Show, and many others television programs together, sharing our thoughts, feelings, speculations and my little boy dreams together. I wasn't much for cartoons as a kid.

What an inspiration it is to have a parent or grandparent who stirs a child's inquisitive mind with literature and their prospective TV & Film dramatizations.

I have read or told each of my children stories during their youth, continuing to this day to keep the literary tradition alive, hopefully passing this practice on to my future progeny for generations to come.

I particularly enjoy creating off-the-cuff tales and feel this helps and has helped me with the natural flow of writing. To start with ... Once Upon A Time ... and continue from scratch, eases the difficulty one can face authoring a piece or a chapter.
I have found composing Flash Fiction to be very similar in practice to my made up stories.

How about you? What has and does inspire you to write?

No comments: