Spacer

All compositions are the sole property of the author and cannot be duplicated, reprinted, modified, published, stored, encoded, broadcasted, performed, posted, transmitted, exhibited, adapted, or used, etc. in any way without permission. The author reserves all moral, legal and intellectual property rights ©

Monday, January 14, 2019

Cotton & Corn: A Place, A Life, A Memory - Chapter 8


Eight
____________

A Blizzard’s Revenge

Though the summers were warm, the winters could be exceptionally cold, especially the winter of 1935. I remember that we lived much of the time in the kitchen, even sleeping there on occasion. I remember blizzards, whiteouts, and huge icicles hangin’ from the edge of our roof. Pa had to put up a rope from the house to the barn so he could find his way through the snowy billows of white powder. Sara Jane died on New Year’s Day 1936, My Pa cried. The sky was clear, but the bitter cold wind made the barn’s weathervane whistle, it’s a day none of us ever forgot. We buried her with the doll that I had bought for her that picture day during our visit to Weatherford.
The day of Sarah Jane's funeral my Pa sat in a rockin' chair scratching nervously at his knees. The parlor at the church where my sister's casket was had only two ways in or out and the mourners had blocked both the openings. Pa tried unsuccessfully to exit each, hesitating momentarily, and then trying again to no effect, so he sat back down in that rocker again and nervously scratched at his knees, all the while looking blankly forward. I had the feeling he wished to cry and was desperate to escape the parlor and its crowd of tearful-eyed occupants, but crying was an act and emotion foreign to a raison-dried farmer like my Pa; empathetic, soft, open-hearted feelings were, of necessity, annoyances to flee from and sometimes something to fear.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~
 “It’s time to get up, Rae Ann,” Mary shook her sister.
Rae Ann turned away in her bed and muttered, “I can’t, Mary, I’m sick.”
With the death of Sarah Jane, Rae Ann suffered a spell of sicknesses that not even the doctor could explain. He confessed to Mr. and Mrs. Charlton that their daughter was beyond his ability to help her and that they may need to take her to a colleague of his who was practicing at a psychological clinic up in Pennsylvania. This was an almost impossible endeavor for the family, so they all prayed earnestly for God to intervene and help Rae Ann in any way He could.
“Mamma ain’t gonna be pleased.”
“I don’t care, Mary. Please let me be and go away.”
After Richard, Teddy, and Mary were long on their way to school aboard the bus, Hilda Charlton entered her daughter’s room and sat on the edge of her daughter’s bed.
“I don’t feel so good, Ma.”
“I know, dear, I know.”
Mrs. Charlton gently laid her hand on her daughter’s shoulder and whispered a short prayer before returning to the kitchen to clean up the dishes and things from breakfast while Rae Ann drifted off into a deep sleep…

“Rae Ann, c’mon, get up. I got to show you something.”
The voice was all too familiar to be true, but Rae Ann turned over and looked across her bedroom, “It can’t… how? What—”
“Don’t ask so many questions. C’mon, I want to show you my dolly… the one you got for me in Weatherford.”
Rae Ann dashed out of her bed to find that she was already dressed.
“C’mon slowpoke, last one there is a rotten, stinkin’ egg.”
Rae Ann ran, although she felt like she was floating through the air, to a special room in the house that appeared just as it had been a few months prior. Entering the room Rae Ann saw the beautiful doll with the fluffy dress and hand painted face sitting against a pillow on a bed that was covered with an almost glowing white knitted bedspread.
“See, we’re ok, Rae Ann, ain’t no need for you to fret and be sick no longer. You got a rich life ahead of you. One day you will… well, I can’t be talkin’ stuff like that now. You just get up and get to livin’, ya hear. Me and my doll are just as fine as a spring rain. You make sure you go forward in life and never look back except to count your blessings and weigh them blessings against the dark days, ‘cause dark days can be many. Just try to focus on the blessings.”
Rae Ann listened carefully and very attentively.
“I was sick… you remember that cough I had, but all is ok now. So you need to be ok now too.”
“I love you,” Rae Ann announced, “I always will.”
“I know, silly. That’s what this dolly is all about. She’s the most precious act of love I ever knew. You got a good heart… keep usin’ it.”
The room grew brighter and brighter with light. Rae Ann closed her eyes for a moment to protect them from the blinding glare.

“Wake up, Rae Ann. I fixed you some lunch,” Mrs. Charlton addressed her daughter, hopeful that she would try to eat something.
Rae Ann jumped up out of bed with a smile, “I’m better now, Ma. I got a life to live.”
Hilda Charlton pondered Rae Ann’s sudden change, but did not question her daughter. Instead, she wished to simply observe her little one for a while.
After her daughter ate more breakfast than she had in weeks Mrs. Charlton inquired, “So, Rae Ann, you seem to be feeling much better and seem to be back to your old self.”
“Not my old self, Ma, but a whole new one.”
Looking a bit dismayed by the response, Mrs. Charlton continued with her gentle inquiries, “What do you think brought about this… this—”
“Me gettin’ better?”
“Yes, dear, that’s it… gettin’ better.”
“I had me one of those dreams, the kind that stays alive in you all day, the kind you feel.”
“I’ve experienced those kind of dreams myself, Rae Ann; those types of dreams you’ll remember for all of your life.”
“That’s wonderful, Ma. Can we go to visit Sarah Jane’s grave today, please?”
Rae Ann had not wanted to go anywhere near the cemetery since the day of the funeral, so Mrs. Charlton agreed that they would make the trip, but instructed her daughter that they needed to go soon in order to be back early in the afternoon. “We’ll have to take the horses and wagon ‘cause your Pa has the Model T.”
“I can help with the wagon and all, Ma, if you need me to.”
“Sure, dear. That would be nice. I’ll leave a note for Richard, Teddy and Mary in case we are a little late in gettin’ back.”
The two ladies hitched up the wagon and proceeded to make their way to the resting place of Sarah Jane Charlton. Upon arrival, Rae Ann leaped from the wagon and ran to her sister’s grave. Hilda Charlton soon joined her daughter there.
“Isn’t it a beautiful spot, Ma? We couldn’t have found us a better place for dear little Sarah Jane.”
“Why yes, dear, it is a nice area here.”

Rae Ann pulled a large button from her pocket and placed it on her sister’s grave.
Mrs. Charlton inquired, “What’s that, dear?”
“Oh, this is my favorite button from my button collection. Sarah Jane use to hold it and stare at it for hours. She had always hoped I would give it to her one day. I said I would, but I wanted to keep it a bit longer. Now it’s hers forever.”
The two spent over an hour at Sarah Jane’s grave, tidying it up, brushing clean the stone, clearing grass and weeds from the surrounding area, and saying prayerful thanks for the time they both did have on earth with Sarah Jane.
“Ya know, Mamma… Ma?”
“Yes, honey?”
“One of my best memories is seein’ Sarah Jane’s face when we gave her that doll, the one I got her in Weatherford. That was the happiest face I done ever saw, Mamma.”
“Yes, that was about the happiest I ever saw her be. She treasured that baby doll so much. That---”
“Can we come here again soon? I want to be sure it’s always tidy here and pretty for Sarah Jane.”
“Yes, I suppose so. We’ll just plan the days to visit a bit ahead of time, so as to not disrupt things at the farm too much.”
“Thanks, Ma, it means a lot to me. Now I have some studies to do at home.”
“Ok, dear. We can go now.”
Rae Ann turned back before climbing up into the wagon and shouted, “Bye, Sarah Jane, we’ll be back soon!”
After returning home, Rae Ann spent the rest of the afternoon in her room catching up on missed schoolwork and writing a poem. When it came time for supper, Rae Ann entered the kitchen to ask her mother a very important question, “Ma… Mamma.”
“Yes, Rae Ann. What is it dear?”
“I wrote a poem today, well, after I finished all my schoolwork and all. It’s my first one.”
“I’m proud of you, Rae Ann.”
“Can I read it at supper tonight? 
“I don’t see why not.”
“Thanks Ma.”
Later that evening and once everyone had dished up their supper, Rae Ann read her poem:

What I Wouldn’t Give

What I wouldn’t give,
To play another day with you,
Run through our fields of cotton and corn,
And watch clouds in the sky so blue.

We could dance in the green forest,
Climb high to the tops of trees,
Sing God’s praises ever so load,
Humbly say prayers on our knees.

I miss you little Sarah Jane,
My dear sister so true,
I’ll treasure what we shared in life,
I’ll always love and remember you.

I love you, Sarah Jane.


This was the second and last time Rae Ann ever saw her father cry.



Chapter Nine: Living Room Decor


No comments: