Spacer

All compositions are the sole property of the author and cannot be duplicated, reprinted, modified, published, stored, encoded, broadcasted, performed, posted, transmitted, exhibited, adapted, or used, etc. in any way without permission. The author reserves all moral, legal and intellectual property rights ©

Friday, February 22, 2019

At Light's Edge - Chapter 24: Temporary Importance


Twenty-Four
____________
Temporary Importance


Samson, Jenny stared at the garden’s statue in awe. What a brute, what a man. Jenny read the plaque next to the statue several times, ‘Judges 16:26 & Hebrews 11:32,’ I’ll need to read that part of the Bible again… she continued reading, ‘Lead me to the pillars that support the abuses, addictions, loneliness, emptiness, and the fears that troubled youth face and struggle with, that I may feel them with my hands and lean against them.’ The word ‘FAITH’ was engraved in large capital letters at the base of the statue.
The blinded Samson pushed with all his strength and determination against those pillars, this provoked numerous thoughts for Jenny to ponder. Jenny was familiar with the biblical passages relating to Samson. Cyrene Youth Ministries used these for a series during her incarceration at Y-MAX for teen women. She had learned about the life and the failings of Samson and how his great faith in God and God’s promises outweighed Samson’s failings. Though Samson had fallen many times, he always rose quickly to the call of God and believed God’s words. As corrupt as Samson appears to our modern eyes, Jenny reflected, his faith made him appear victorious in God’s eyes. I guess there’s hope for me.
El Pino and Nash approached Jenny and stood staring at the statue.
“Bad dude,” commented Nash.
“I wish I was that strong,” El Pino added.
Jenny simply said, “It’s a spiritual lesson.”
“What?” the boys responded.
“Read those Bible verses there,” Jenny pointed to the plaque, “then get back to me.”
“Yeah, right,” replied Nash. “Hey, come with me and El Pino to town.”
“Why?”
“We gotta dig up some quick cash.”
“Sounds like trouble, boys.”
“Only if we get caught,” El Pino laughed.
Jenny looked at the two and stated, “It’s my first day here, so I’ll pass on that one.”
“Suit yourself,” Nash replied.
“Gross,” El Pino spited and shouted, “A hamburger with wings. I got a fly in my mouth.”
“Let’s go, El Pino, you can eat later,” laughed Nash.
With the two boys off on some type of troubling errand, Jenny returned to her room. She wondered about Amir and why he had not joined El Pino and Nash in their endeavor, but it really was not any of her business she decided.
Jenny retrieved her diary from her closet to add some thoughts. She knew that analytical thoughts can be lost from memory swiftly, far more swiftly than negative ones are for some reason. She wrote… ‘All of my life I have wanted someone to care about me, to love me for me. I know that people can only care for others for a brief time during their life – they can’t care forever. If I died, someone might care for a while, some may even cry for a while, but that would fade away faster than my life did. Someone may cry and feel emotion on occasion when they thought of me, but not many. What is Life? Why is life? Who am I? Can I have the faith to live for God? What is the difference between being important now and for eternity? Is there any difference? God, give me some type of communication channel through to you like Christ had.’ Jenny closed her diary and cried for the first time since that horrible night her uncle had entered her bedroom as a young girl, only exiting after changing her life forever.

Hours later Jenny’s bedroom door creaked open slowly, “Hey, what you doin’ sittin’ here in the dark on your bed at 2 a.m.?” questioned the voice.
“Who is it?” Jenny whispered.
“El Pino,” he replied, “and Nash is with me. You sittin’ in the dark?”
“Yeah,” Jenny replied, “I don’t get to sleep so much a lot of nights. I just sort of nap and dream a little now and then.”
Jenny experienced many sleepless nights. Her mind tortured itself with thoughts from her childhood and recent teenage life.
“We’re headin’ out,” the voice whispered in the dark. “We scored some special stuff with the cash we appropriated today,” The two boys chuckled. “Want to join us?”
The boys had robbed a small convenience store and an elderly man in the bathroom of a shopping mall before purchasing some illicit items to smoke.
“I better not. Don’t want to get busted on my first night here.”
“Ok, bye.” Jenny’s bedroom door closed silently.
Jenny pondered, Amir isn’t with them… interesting.
Jenny set her diary back down in her closet’s corner, locked her door and laid down on her bed to continue her contemplations. She wondered why some people conquer life while others get conquered; why some people suffer horrible things and others go through life unscathed; why her own life had to be the way it was.
Jenny wanted to get out the Bible she had received in prison from the Cyrene Ministry folks, but just could not do it. I don’t feel worthy to read the Bible right now. The Bible story of the immoral woman with the alabaster vial of perfume repeated itself in her mind though, over and over. That woman cried and washed Jesus's feet with her tears and hair. I would do that.
Footsteps softly sounded in the hallway outside of Jenny’s door. A soft knock resulted in a reply from Jenny, “Who’s there?”
“I’m Sharon McKenzie,” replied a woman, “I’m working here tonight. Sorry to bother you, but two of the boys seem to be missing.”
Jenny rose, flicked on her light and opened her door.
“I didn’t mean to wake you,” Sharon apologized.
“It’s ok, I wasn’t really sleeping so well, you know first night and all. No boys in here thank goodness.”
After glancing briefly around the room Miss McKenzie said, “Goodnight Jenny. Jenny is correct, isn’t it?”
“Yes, that’s me. Nothin’ I can do about that.”
Miss McKenzie did not know how to reply to Jenny’s response, so she simply closed the door to continue her hunt for the two missing youths.
Jenny mumbled to herself, “At least I didn’t have to snitch or lie.”
Continuing her reflective thought upon her bed Jenny eventually fell asleep, but morning arrived all too quickly. She went down to the bathroom, showered, returned to her room, and readied herself for the day ahead. She was not sure what the future hours would involve for her, but figured that they would be something boringly therapeutic.
The woman who picked Jenny up and brought her to FHG the previous day, Cynthia Lafferty, knocked on Jenny’s bedroom door announcing that breakfast was ready.
“Yeah, on my way,” Jenny responded.
Stepping down the stairway, Jenny glanced around again to inhale the beauty of the historic home’s craftsmanship. She never really noticed things like this in her past, but she had never actually experienced anything like this before either.
“Smells like bacon!” she mumbled.

Next Chapter: Breakfast is Served

No comments: