Spacer

All compositions are the sole property of the author and cannot be duplicated, reprinted, modified, published, stored, encoded, broadcasted, performed, posted, transmitted, exhibited, adapted, or used, etc. in any way without permission. The author reserves all moral, legal and intellectual property rights ©

Saturday, February 16, 2019

At Light's Edge - Chapter 9: Hittin’ the Fan


Nine
____________

Hittin’ the Fan

The next couple of weeks delivered more excitement than a dozen mega-celebrity horror, thriller, and action films combined. The Perv got stabbed in the leg in the chow hall, a fight broke out in the arts and crafts room involving six inmates, numerous boys were forcefully assaulted, and four youths attacked Cornell on the yard one evening. Cornell easily held his own but ended up spending a couple of days confined to his cell.
Monday and Tuesday on the construction site proved to be a horrible time for the newbie inmate Stone; the building site contained too many blind areas. Two youths brutalized Renie one of the mornings leaving him feeling weak, violated and less than a man.
Once Cornell returned to work that Wednesday things flowed more normal again, at least out on the construction site. Inside the prison was a different story, chaos reigned for the rest of the week with a huge fight breaking out on the yard involving at least sixty youths. Prison officials discussed a complete lockdown, but decided that the construction crew, kitchen workers, and other pertinent workers with good disciplinary records, would be allowed to report to their prospective work assignments.
Two youths fell from a high scaffold on the infirmary’s construction site breaking some bones in the process. It happened to be the same two teens that had attacked Renie. Cornell only smiled while medics transported the two off-site to a hospital across the desert over three hours away. Correctional Officers, working overtime rotating shifts, guarded the injured boys while special restraints kept the youths in their hospital beds for as long as recovery took. Recovery could take several months.
“For five percent of your canteen issue,” Cornell addressed Renie, “I can make sure nobody touches you. I usually charge a lot more, but I’ll give you a work-buddy discount. Think about it.”
It didn’t take Renie long to come to a conclusion, “Sure, sounds good.”
“Deal?”
“Deal!”
The two shook on it before returning to hang some sheetrock. Gypsum sheetrock is only used in staff office sections throughout the prison’s new construction. Concrete remains the product of choice for all inmate common area walls, floors and ceilings.
“Hand me the screw gun, Ren,” Cornell demanded.
Picking it up from the floor Renie passed it to Cornell who used his hands, forehead and a knee to hold up a large piece of gypsum board. Cornell let one hand free, spit a screw from his mouth into it, and then proceeded to use the screw gun to secure the sheetrock to the metal stud framing underneath while Renie measured and cut more boards.
“This is hard work,” commented Renie.
“Sure is.”
“How’d you end up here, Cornell? Oh, I know the story, but I mean,” he thought for a moment, “I mean, you know, the why behind it all, or maybe the how behind it all, I’m not sure how to put it into words.”
Cornell understood what his friend meant. He spit the last screw into his hand and positioned it onto the screw gun. After screwing it into the sheetrock, he replied, “I was a pretty ok kid until I was ten, that’s when my little eight year old brother died. Nobody said anything to me at the funeral. I felt I died that day and that I was of no importance to anyone. It was my little brother that died, my best friend in the world, the only person who looked up to me. We jumped on trampolines, climbed trees, played tag, read stories and ate ice cream together; I loved my little brother. When they lowered my little brother down into that dark grave, I changed. My heart went with him into that cold abyss, down to the pits of hell. I’ve never been the same since.”
Renie studied his friend’s sorrow-filled eyes and replied, “Wow, your little brother. I can’t imagine.”
Avoiding his inner pain, Cornell refocused the conversation, “But goin’ to this new Cyrene meeting has helped. I feel God is more real, not just a bunch of religious junk and rules, but someone I can know.”
“Me too. You been readin’ your Bible?”
Cornell grabbed another sheet of gypsum board and lifted into place against the wall, “Yeah, some. I read the first part of Genesis, the book of Ecclesiastics and the Gospel of John. Now I plan to read the book of Revelations.”
“You've been busy.”
Renie grabbed another piece of sheetrock.
“Remember the cuttin’ rule.”
Renie answered, “Yep. Measure twice and cut once.”
They both laughed.
“Sounds like somthin’ a couple of gangstas would say,” Renie smiled.
Cornell confirmed, “Measure up your opponent two times and cut him up once.”
“I’m thinkin’ we need another Cyrene meetin’ about now.”
“You got that right, kid.”
Once the boys completed that room’s sheetrock Cornell introduced Renie to the fine art of drywall finishing. Taping the lines where the gypsum board met, including the angled corners, was step one. Renie got the hang of it all rather quickly.
“You almost look like a pro, Ren,” boasted Cornell.
“Maybe I can get me a job doin’ this kinda work when I get out. If I get out, that is.”
Cornell smoothed some of the drywall compound over a row of screws, and replied, “Construction is a place where you can do just that. A hard worker that is skilled is all them construction contractor folks out there be lookin’ for; the fastest, best and most dependable.”
Renie responded, “On the outside they use automated tools, I watched ‘em once.”
“Bazookas, boxes, nail spotters, angle tools... more tools than a graveyard has tombstones,” affirmed Cornell. “But we won’t be usin’ any of them tools in here. Maybe if we get some free staff construction workers later on they’ll let ‘em bring in some tools.”
“It would look better on a resume,” Renie thought out loud.
“Yeah, better than thoroughly efficient in all nonessential skills.”
“Ha, ha, very funny,” Inmate Stone was not amused.
“We better get movin’, the day’s almost done.”
Following Cornell’s lead, Renie worked as fast as he could. Quite a bit of drywall board needed to be hung in that room and two others before the day’s end. The two talked about the crazy things going on inside the prison the past few weeks, knifings, rapes, beatings, and the disrespect many displayed toward the staff. Cornell informed Renie that it was normal for new prisons to have a testing period where things go wild, staff members transfer or quit, inmates get rolled up and moved out; he said it usually always settled down once the inmates see that nothing is accomplished by stupidity, except to get locked down.
“I see what you mean, Cornell, everyone thinks all these prisons start with no experience under their belt, but they have eons of experience from the entire system.”
The two were interrupted by another inmate abruptly, “Hey, you ain’t never gonna guess who died, go ahead, guess,” pressed Schizo, a nervous acting skinny inmate known for a personality that bordered on the fine line between sanity and the disorder of Schizophrenia.
“You, Schizo,” replied an irritated Cornell, “if you don’t tell us now.”
“Ok, ok, I’ll tell ya all.”
After a brief pause, Renie questioned, “Now... or?”
“Yeah, yeah, guys, hold on a moment. My mind ya know. Well, it was that big Indian fella, but I don’t know how yet, though.”
“So the contract out on him was sealed,” commented Renie.
“That ain’t the half of it,” Schizo boasted.
Renie asked, “What’s the rest?”
Looking like a school kid with a big secret, Schizo proudly replied, “He ain’t no Indian, or was no Indian, ain’t half Mexican either. That’s why he never talked much. But he knew most of what was being said by the border boys, ‘cause of it comin’ from Latin someone told me. If ya know what I’m sayin’.”
“I ain’t followin’,” Renie begged for clarification.
“Just let me think a bit.”
Cornell encouraged, “You better be thinkin’ faster, Schizo.”
“Ok, ok, I got it,” he pulled up his pants a bit, “He was Italian, yes, ma’am, Italian. He was the great-nephew of some big time mobster guy in the Big Apple, as I heard it. Those bikers he supposedly killed in Texas, well, he did do it, but it was ‘cause they ripped off the mob family in a drug deal or somethin’. He was sent here on some sort of prison witness protection gig to do his time.”
“That didn’t work,” Renie chuckled.
“Paybacks are tough,” added Cornell.
Schizo informed the two he had to make the rounds with the news and dashed off.
“Another day in paradise,” Renie moaned.


Next Chapter: Hide & Seek


No comments: