Spacer

All compositions are the sole property of the author and cannot be duplicated, reprinted, modified, published, stored, encoded, broadcasted, performed, posted, transmitted, exhibited, adapted, or used, etc. in any way without permission. The author reserves all moral, legal and intellectual property rights ©

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Creating Memorable Lines for Characters



It seems people are conosoirs of one-liners, or suckers, depending upon your viewpoint.

We all can benefit from using this practice with our created characters, sparingly of course, unless you are composing a special type of scene. Some scenes may require multiple discourses of ‘fun’ dialogue to achieve your intended literary goal. Keeping the character ‘in character’ is also vital when developing their quotes/lines.

We can all think of some of these lines. From those Presidents should never say, to those that chill the bone, and those we just cannot forget.

Do you have any special ones you have enjoyed?


Some examples:

“Go ahead, make my day!” -Dirty Harry
“You seem somewhat familiar; have I threatened you before?” -Captain Jack Sparro
“I am not a crook.” –President Nixon
“Shaken – Not stirred.” -James Bond
“I did not have … with that woman.” –President Clinton
“Play it again, Sam.” -Rick Blaine
"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness." -Internet
“Read my lips …” –President Bush (SR)
“It’s Alive! It’s Alive!” - Dr. Henry Frankenstein
"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go." –President Obama
“Stupid is as stupid does-” -Forrest Gump
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." -Internet
“Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.” –Dorothy
"There's an old saying ... fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." –President G.W. Bush
 “We all go a little mad sometimes” -Norman Bates
"Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car." -Internet
"I hear crime is on the rise!" -Charles Manson 1983 (Said to me as he entered the CMF prison visiting room)


101 Movie Quotes     -HERE
100 Internet Quotes   -HERE

No comments: